The affairs of the Organization shall be managed by the Board of Directors. The Board shall consist of a President, Secretary and Treasurer. Up to nine more Directors may be elected or appointed; a maximum number of twelve will make up the Board of Directors.
Each Director position shall be assigned to a particular Work Group of the Organization. Scroll down for more information on each work group.
QUALIFICATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF BOARD MEMBERS:
- 18 years of age or older.
- A US citizen and registered to vote.
- Committed to the Coffee Party mission, goals, values and strategic plan.
- A current member of the Coffee Party who has
- Signed the Civility Pledge.
- An active volunteer participating in at least one Work Group.
- Effective knowledge of the national political environment and important current issues.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Must not be serving in or running for partisan elected office.
- Experience in Project Management completion helpful.
- Good computer skills and willingness to adapt to and learn as the Coffee Party technology platform evolves.
Experience in any of the following is preferred:
- Social Media experience (especially Facebook)
- Google Drive and Google Docs
- Database platform (Nationbuilder)
- Has not engaged in a pattern of conduct that is unprofessional, inflammatory, or detrimental to the interests of or reflects discreditably on the Coffee Party. (A Coffee Party By Laws requirement).
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Set organizational direction, plans and goals for Coffee Party USA.
- Decide all governance, brand and fiduciary issues.
- Attend weekly conference calls (Official Board meetings are scheduled monthly. Missing three official meetings in a row could lead to removal from the Board.)
- Participate directly in and serve as the Board Liaison for at least one active Work Group.
- Help recruit and support Coffee Party volunteers.
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to invite and mentor volunteers.
- Remain current on the varied activities of the Coffee Party.
- Model and support Coffee Party goals, values and positions.
- Always keep the best interests of the Coffee Party and its members in mind.
- Act as a role model, change agent and professional exemplar.
- Remain current on issues affecting the government and activist community as they relate to the mission and goals of the Coffee Party.
- Actively participate in fundraising in whatever ways best suited for the Board member to enhance the Coffee Party’s funding sources
- Commit at least five hours per week to the Coffee Party.
- Attend the mandatory annual In-Person Board Retreat (in July or August)
Officers of the Board
The President/Director elected by the members shall serve as President; the Secretary/Director elected by the members shall serve as Secretary; and the Treasurer/Director elected by the members shall serve as Treasurer, each for a term coterminous with his or her term as Director as provided in Article IV, section 4. The Board of Directors may also, at the beginning of the term of the other Officers, elect a Vice President.
- Schedule and lead all Board meetings in accordance with the By Laws.
- Hire and supervise Coffee Party employees.
- Work with the Treasurer to lead development of annual and long range business plans.
- Work with the Treasurer to develop the annual budget.
- Be the primary spokesperson for the Coffee Party, unless otherwise designated.
- Plan and lead the Annual In-Person Board Retreat.
- Be the primary contact regarding all legal issues
Section 3 Part A. President (Bylaws).
The President shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and, subject to the supervision of the Board of Directors and shall perform all duties customary to that office in accordance with policies and directives approved by the Board of Directors.
Vice President Responsibilities
In the absence of the President or in the event of his or her inability or refusal to act, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President and, when so acting, shall have all the powers of and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President. The Vice President shall perform such other duties and have such other powers as the Board of Directors may from time to time prescribe by standing or special resolution, or as the President may from time to time provide, subject to the powers and the supervision of the Board of Directors.
- Prepare annual budget in collaboration with the president.
- Monitor long-range financial planning and budgets.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports for Coffee Party board meetings
- Work with accountant, Coffee Party staff and president to make sure all accounts receivables and payables are current and procedures followed.
- Work with Membership Affairs Director as needed to reconcile PayPal and memberships.
- Provide financial advice and support to Coffee Party committees and committees.
- Be the lead contact on compliance on all financial or tax issues.
- Serve as Director Liaison to the Accounting/Legal Work Group
Section 3 Part D. Treasurer. (Bylaws)
The Treasurer shall have the custody of, and be responsible for, all funds and securities of the Organization keep or cause to be kept complete and accurate accounts of receipts and disbursements of the Organization, and shall deposit all monies and other valuable property of the Organization in the name and to credit of the Organization in such banks or depositories as the Board of Directors may designate. Whenever required by the Board of Directors, the Treasurer shall render a statement of accounts no less frequently than quarterly. He or she shall at all reasonable times exhibit the books and accounts to any officer or director of the Organization, and shall perform all duties incident to the office of Treasurer, subject to the supervision of the Board, and such other duties as shall from time to time be assigned by the Board. The Treasurer shall, if required by the Board of Directors, give such bond or security for the faithful performance of his or her duties as the Board may require, for which he or she shall be reimbursed.
- Keep accurate minutes of all Board meetings.
- Obtain Board approval for minutes before posting to the public website for the general membership.
- Maintain and/or update official Coffee Party records and documents.
- Maintain Job Descriptions of all Board members as well as work group descriptions. If changes, notify Leadership Development Work Group and Volunteer Coordinator.
- Advise the Board on currency of Coffee Party bylaws.
Section 3, Part C. Secretary. (Bylaws)
The Secretary shall be responsible for the keeping of an accurate record of the proceedings of all meetings of the Board of Directors, shall give or cause to be given all notices in accordance with these Bylaws or as required by law, and, in general, shall perform all duties customary to the office of Secretary. The Secretary shall have custody of the corporate seal of the Organization, if any; and he or she shall have authority to affix the same to any instrument requiring it; and, when so affixed, it may be attested by his or her signature. The Board of Directors may give general authority to any officer to affix the seal of the Organization, if any, and to attest the affixing by his signature.
Coffee Party USA Work Groups
Each Director position shall be assigned to a particular Work Group of the Organization.
The Chair of each Work Group shall be appointed by the Director of that Work Group. The Chair of a Work Group may be removed from that position with or without cause by the Board of Directors. Work Group Chairs must be members in good standing.
Strategic Implementation Work Group
Review, update and maintain a strong, efficient operation structure. This group maintains and updates all organizational design and strategic planning. This group focuses on the What, Where and How of the organization.
- Annually review and update Coffee Party position papers.
- Facilitate the writing of new Coffee Party position papers.
- Prepare annual surveys for BOD retreat.
- Develop strategies, structure implementation processes for any Coffee Party project or need as directed by the Board of Directors.
Leadership Development Work Group
Follow procedures outlined in Coffee Party USA By Laws detailing the Elections process.
- Maintain schedule of Board appointments and positions up for re-election or appointment.
- Develop annual Elections procedures and obtain Board approval.
- Recruit and set up Vetting Committee each year for potential Board of Director candidates.
- Recruit and vet potential Board members.
- Present qualified candidates to the Board
- Organize the annual election if directed by the Board.
- Train, assist and orient new Board members.
- Report back to the Board on each year’s elections/appointment process.
Accounting/Legal Work Group
Support the Treasurer in all accounting, tax and legal compliance and reporting procedures as well as special projects assigned or confirmed by the Board of Directors.
Technology: Internet Infrastructure Liaison, Security Officer Work Group
Develop and maintain communication pathways; develop and maintain effective Internet and social media infrastructure to encourage participation leading to sustained impact.
- Update and maintain www.CoffeePartyUSA.com
- Oversee all security risks regarding our website and our Facebook Page.
- Maintain and organize regional Coffee Party Facebook pages. If needed, create and lead Work Group to maintain these pages.
Public and Supporter Relations Work Group
Combines efforts of communicating about Coffee Party to the outside world and communications to our members and supporters within the Coffee Party. This group has two roles:
Public Relations - to draw interest and therefore donations into the Coffee Party through press releases, maintaining branding, and developing a liaison with Media.
Supporter Communications - work with other work groups to assist in communication with, and receive feedback from, members and supporters about campaigns, initiatives, collaborations, national organizational developments, volunteers and community actions. (i.e. Newsletters, eBlasts, Coffee Break memos)
- Developing ongoing relationship with appropriate media contacts.
- Develop and maintain our media contact listings in our database.
- Develop materials that help promote the Coffee Party.
- Develop and maintain Coffee Party Talking Points (may be in conjunction with Strategic Implementation Work Group)
- Follow up with appropriate media contacts to encourage their usage of our materials; expand our voice, presence and availability for media interviews.
- Write and distribute press releases to our contacts in appropriate situations related to Coffee Party USA goals (getting approval from president/board in some situations).
- Maintain our commitment to transparency with the membership using eblasts and social media tools.
Membership Affairs Work Group
Support the Director for Membership Affairs in record keeping and customer service to our members. To work with other work groups to grow our movement by developing our membership strength through membership drives.
- Maintain membership records and send out renewal notices through our PayPal and Nationbuilder platforms.
- Respond to member emails regarding questions about membership.
- Work with other work groups to build membership through eblasts, Facebook postings and other membership drives.
- Assure membership is up to date in Nationbuilder at the time of our annual Board of Directors Elections.
- Respond to Member and supporter inquiries addressing brand, goals, etc.
Partnerships Work Group
To identify, reach out to, and promote alliances and partnerships that strengthen the Coffee Party message by research and locating groups, actions and campaigns that align with the Coffee Party brand and to reach out for the purpose of collaboration and mutual support.
- Outreach to aligned organizations for the purpose of collaboration and mutual support.
- Create the analytics for our interactions with aligned groups.
- Work with other work groups to create and or support inter organization campaigns.
- Work with Public Relations Work Group to develop and maintain talking points.
- Analytics as to what is working, what’s not working, and how we can attract more collaboration.
Newsroom/Social Media Work Group
- Generate and distribute appropriate content to our main Facebook page, Twitter account, and other social media platforms approved by the board
- Maintain posting schedule for JTCPM Facebook page.
- Ensure that articles posted are in alignment with Coffee Party mission, goals and values.
- Write blogs and recruit original writers for Coffee Party USA.
- Collaborate with Newsroom editors to solve problems and stimulate creativity
- Moderate comments on each post in order to provide a safe, respectful space for conversation
- Contribute to and support local Facebook pages with content that aligns with CP mission, goals and values.
- Oversee, organize and lead Blog Talk Radio Shows.
- Lead/Oversee Blog Talk Radio Show Work Group
Campaigns and Actions Work Group
Purpose: to develop and implement actions and/or events that engage and encourage our membership to become active participants in the political process. This can include assisting partnership and collaborations with other organizations, but will focus on national campaigns and actions and encourage member involvement.
- Develop actions that can be implemented at the national level, focusing on voting rights and electoral reform
- Develop campaigns and events that align with our Goals and Values, especially voting rights and electoral reform.
- Strong written communication skills helpful.
Fundraising Work Group
Support Coffee Party fundraising efforts including but not limited to grant writing, e-commerce, and other creative avenues. Work with Public and Member Relations Work Group, as well as with Membership Affairs in membership drives and related fundraising activities.
- Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of fundraising opportunities.
- Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of Coffee Party actions and initiatives.
- Work with other Campaigns work group to combine national campaigns with fundraising.
- Work with Public and Member Relations to promote membership drives.
- Work with Community Outreach to promote fundraising.
- Research and participate in preparation of grant applications.
- Research and develop e-commerce opportunities.
- Advise Treasurer on fundraising and revenue activities and projections.
- Assure Fundraising opportunities align with Coffee Party Goals and Values.
Purpose: to grow our movement by developing our volunteer strength and promote involvement at the national level.
Follow up with volunteer sign ups, recruiting, vetting (if applicable), placement, retention, training and support of volunteers of the CP that work at the national level.
- Follow up with new volunteers to orient and help with placement.
- Train volunteers as needed.
- Be available to Work Group Chairs for recruitment into Work Groups
- Follow up with Work Group Chairs to assure volunteers are active and participating.
- Be available to volunteers for questions when needed.
- Remove inactive volunteers when advised by Work Group chairs.
- Assist with Volunteer Management as needed.
- Maintain Volunteer Handbook and Volunteer Management Guides.
- Maintain Volunteer Facebook page.
- Maintain volunteer database.
- Support Work Group assistants as needed.
- Work with Board for volunteer drives.
National Community Organizers Work Group
Supports community chapters in their local actions through mentoring, training, promoting affiliation and connecting the chapters to the national work groups and Board of Directors for organized Coffee Party Events.
- Work with local organizers to coordinate monthly Coffee Party events
- Develop, maintain and update Community Outreach support materials.
- Develop, maintain and update structure and strategy for Communities.
- Facilitate communication among community organizers.
- Represent community organizers on Coffee Party Board of Directors.
- Maintain database of all community groups.
- Follow up with community groups for feedback and needs.
- Coordinate with Technology Team to maximize use of regional Coffee Party Facebook pages
- Coordinate with Campaigns & Actions Team to motivate citizen involvement